Protein-Packed Kidney Bean Burger

and more on my background. 


As mentioned previously, I have not always been one of those “crazy” vegetarians. In fact, I’ve probably said, “I could never be a vegetarian”--mmm--one hundred times in my life? Throw the possibility of vegan in, and I was certain, I mean certain, that this could never be in my future.

I discovered buffalo chicken wings and filet mignon at a young age. I was into the really fancy stuff, none of that kids menu or fast food meat. Although, I did have a thing for Arby’s roast beef.

In fact, at one point, my two favorite foods were chicken and ice cream. In college, I frequently had chicken at lunch and dinner, under the impression that it was a health-food, and therefore should make up a large part of my diet (I’ll speak more specifically on health in the coming weeks).

However, a couple things got me somewhat open to vegetarianism (and, believe it or not, veganism) eventually.

For one, I love animals. As a kid, I made friends with the salamanders and fish by the creek. I would jump into the pool fully clothed to save a frog, or sometimes even a moth. I begged for every kind of pet: a ferret, a rabbit, a chinchilla, etc. Each year, I thought Santa would surprise me with one. Spoiler: he never did.

Eventually, my parents caved and we got a cat. When I wasn’t at home with her, I was with my friend Chloe either volunteering at our local humane shelter, or orchestrating some event to raise money for them.

At one point, the shelter had a pig come in, and Chloe and I could not spend enough time petting him in his cage! Fun fact: pigs love belly rubs.

The real kicker, though, and the thing that got me most weary about meat early on is comical if you think about it. It was the mandatory rat dissection in my high school anatomy class.

The point of the dissection--which, we had to skin the rats, by the way . . . my stomach churns just thinking of it--was to study the muscles. And suddenly, it clicked in my 17-year-old brain: this is what meat is.

I went vegetarian for a whole two weeks.

Then, my mom made chicken and broccoli casserole, a familiar favorite/ not a rat, and meat felt safe again.

So, that first stint didn’t necessarily last, but it did open my eyes to what I didn’t want to acknowledge. That the food I loved so much was the body of an animal.

My vegetarian friend from high school, Michelle, put it this way (and it has never left me): “when you eat meat, you’re literally eating a rotting corpse.”

I think she said this to me while I had a steak on my plate. I kept shoving it down, though. The steak, and the thoughts.

Now, these facts may not sicken everyone like they did me. My mom, for example, was raised in a family of hunters. She would see her dinner carried in and skinned in the laundry room. So, for her others, the concept of meat isn’t uncomfortable. And that’s okay. Like I said, anyone is welcome to my blog.

I have my other reasons, and more recent details of my background that have shaped this lifestyle for me. But the thing that cracked a sliver of openness in my mind was--funny enough--a high school dissection.

So, after all that appetizing talk, here is a recipe for one of my favorite meat-alternatives! A Protein-Packed Kidney Bean Burger.

This vegetarian/ vegan burger recipe is delicious, and one of few recipes that I've found that creates a firm burger. Pair with your favorite conidments, and enjoy!

In the past, I've struggled to get my bean burgers firm. Ya know, not mushy. But with this recipe, I finally figured out how to do it! Drying the beans, quinoa, and bread crumbs are the key!

This vegetarian/ vegan burger recipe is delicious, and one of few recipes that I've found that creates a firm burger. Pair with your favorite conidments, and enjoy!

This vegetarian/ vegan burger recipe is delicious, and one of few recipes that I've found that creates a firm burger. Pair with your favorite conidments, and enjoy!

Just be sure to add some condiments and fresh veggies so it's not too dry. Have fun!

Serves: 4

Time: 30 minutes

What you’ll need:

1 can (15 oz) of kidney beans, rinsed, drained, and set out to dry
½ cup Panko bread crumbs
¾ cup cooked quinoa
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp flax and 3 tbsp of almost boiling water mixed, or one egg
2 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic
Salt and pepper to taste


What you’ll do:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400
  2. Mash together the kidney beans until there are no whole beans left
  3. Add in the other ingredients, and mix well
  4. Roll four equal portions into balls, then press into the shape of a patty
  5. Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and bake 10 minutes on the other side
  6. Pair with your favorite bun, toppings, condiments, and side dish, and enjoy!
    This vegetarian/ vegan burger recipe is delicious, and one of few recipes that I've found that creates a firm burger. Pair with your favorite conidments, and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refreshing Avocado-Lemon Pasta

Buffalo Tofu Wrap