Nutrient-Dense, Sweet Summer Salad

Happy Friday, everyone! I can finally say that I feel almost completely better.

Apparently, the flu from this season has mutated and we are seeing a wave of a slightly different strand. So, allow me to be an elementary school poster for a second when I say wash your hands, cover your cough, and get plenty of vitamin C!

But, if you do fall ill, please refer to Wednesday’s post for some tips and tricks of getting through.

Now, I would love to continue my “mini-series”, if you will, on what foods and tools you’ll like to have around if you choose to pursue a planted-based (or mostly plant-based) diet. Monday, we discussed spices and flavors (essential to creating delicious meals). Today, I’d love to share my favorite and most versatile veggies.

Then later, we’ll use some said veggies in a Nutrient-Dense, Sweet Summer Salad.


So with no further to-do, here are my favorite veggies to keep around:

1. Onions.
Oh, the glorious onion, in its many forms. Whether or not you like the taste of fresh onion (say, on your salad), cooking with onions adds a ton of flavor to virtually any dish: stew, soup, slow cooker recipe, casserole, etc. I can honestly say, of all the meals on my blog so far, if onion is not included, it could be. Plus, onions stay good for a long time compared to many other fresh ingredients. You’re cooking with fire if you’re cooking with onion.
2. Spinach
Spinach is another amazing veggie that could be added to many dishes. I don’t know how spinach ever got a bad rep! It’s delicious, especially if prepared well. And, if you have a good salad spinner to store it in, it can stay good for a long time, too. I add spinach to meals such as pasta, curry, enchiladas, stir-fry, etc. It’s not specific to any one cuisine, but can thrive in many. And, if you’re simply looking for an easy way to enjoy it solo: 1.) Olive oil, 2.) Salt, 3.) Sautee.  
3. Carrots and celery
Though I don’t frequently cook with carrots or celery, I love to have these two around as high-protein snacks. I pair carrots with hummus, and celery with all-natural peanut butter . . . may need a snack break just thinking about it! It’s super simple, filling, and a great way to get some veggies and protein in your day.
4. Mushrooms
Mushrooms, like spinach, are not limited to any one cuisine. I have made Italian mushroom dishes, where the mushroom steals the show; I’ve had amazing panini’s with large portobello mushrooms; excellent casseroles or fajitas with a large serving of mushrooms; I’ve also added mushrooms into pasta, stir-fry, or stroganoff. Mushrooms also stay good for a while, and can aid/ create many meals.
5. Broccoli
Pictured above is a personal broccoli creation that I will make soon. A (cashew) "cheezy" broccoli soup. 
I love broccoli. It is amazing to have around as either the star of your dish (casserole, soup, stir-fry), or as a delicious side. I roast my broccoli in the oven with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt until it’s just a bit crispy. This veggie can last a while if stored properly (I use produce savers), and can even freeze well if need be. Not to mention, it’s high in calcium and vitamin K for bone health.
6. Bell peppers
Bell peppers are an amazing creation. I love making fajitas or enchiladas primarily with bell pepper. I’ve also found pepper can be added to meals, such as the stir-fry from Monday, soups and stews, salad, etc. Bell pepper is also a great transporter of hummus. But a favorite, go-to meal that my husband and I love is stuffed peppers. I will be making this shortly :) There is so much room for creativity in the world of stuffed peppers. And, now that I have officially tried the Impossible Foods soy substitute for ground beef, I can’t wait to have a taco stuffed pepper night. Stay tuned.

All that to say that I have found those six (well, technically seven) veggies to be versatile, delicious, and useful in my kitchen.

It’s always wise to have a plan for the fresh produce you buy (I’m big on avoiding food waste), but I’ve found many uses for the above veggies, even outside my plan. Always keep an eye on the fresh food you have, though. If you see a particular ingredient "aging", then pop on Google and find a recipe with that food!

Tonight, we’ll use the oh-so-wonderful spinach in a sweet, summer salad.

This salad is fresh and dense in a variety of nutrients, such as vitamins A, C, K, and B-6, magnesium, iron, calcium, and protein.


Not to mention, it’s delicious.

Serves: 2

Time: 5 minutes

What you’ll need:

4 packed cups of spinach
1 avocado, diced
1 cup strawberries, quartered
½ cup cooked edamame
4 tbsp. Sunflower seeds
4 tbsp. Dried cranberries

For dressing:

1 tbsp. strawberry balsamic
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tsp salt, or salt to taste

What you’ll do:

  1. Divide ingredients evenly among two bowls, in order of ingredient list
  2. Combine dressing ingredients in a separate bowl; drizzle over the top of each salad
  3. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refreshing Avocado-Lemon Pasta

Buffalo Tofu Wrap

Protein-Packed Kidney Bean Burger