Chickpea Curry

Happy Monday, plant-loving pals. I'm finally back & ready to share the best plant-based curry.



I've missed updating the blog lately! The past few weeks have been crazy. For one, I moved for a job within the matter of five days. Then, almost immediately after, my husband and I left for a vacation in the Adirondack mountains. Sidenote: if you haven't been to upstate New York, I would recommend it. It is beautiful, and a powerful reminder of why we should eat for the planet!


I haven't had much time to myself at all. Today is the first day I would say I feel somewhat settled in our new place, and I currently have about 10 minutes to share with you all this family favorite.


I learned this recipe in a cooking class at Indiana University, and have played around with it since. I encourage you to do the same! I'll mention in the list of ingredients where you can add more or less based on your preference. For example, with the curry powder, you choose your level of spicy. You may want minimal spice (1 tsp) worth, or you may inch it up near or past 2 tbsp. worth. It's like choosing your level from 1-6 at a restaurant. This recipe is all about feel and testing as you go.





Then, soon, we will wrap up the Kitchen Essentials of plant-based living with whole grains and protein. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, check out the prior three posts to see what fruits, vegetables, and spices I almost always keep on hand for the tastiest plant-based recipes.

And, with that, let's just get right into it!

Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

What you'll need:

2 cups of cooked brown rice
1 small white onion, diced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 clove of garlic (can add more)
2 tbsp. chopped basil leaves (can add more; can used dried basil leaves)
1-2 tbsp. red curry paste
Curry powder, you decide how much
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Juice from 1/4 lemon
1 tsp agave or maple syrup
If desired, approx. 1 tsp of corn starch and water to thicken
Pepper to taste (if you want some more spice)
Optional: fresh basil to garnish

What you'll do:

  1. Depending on how you prepare your rice, consider beginning by starting the rice cooker. I know mine takes 20-30 minutes, so I always start rice first and foremost
  2. Then, on medium heat, add the onion, garlic, and oil to a large pot
  3. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until onions start to become translucent 
  4. Add grape tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes longer
  5. Stir in chopped basil leaves for another minute
  6. Add chickpeas
  7. Lower heat, and add coconut milk, curry paste, and curry powder; pause to taste test
  8. Continue adding flavors (soy sauce, lemon juice, agave, pepper, etc.), and taste testing to decide if it's good, or if you want more.
  9. If you desire more thickness, add cornstarch and water and simmer little-by-little until you reach desired consistency.
  10. Once you are satisfied, serve over rice, and enjoy!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refreshing Avocado-Lemon Pasta

Buffalo Tofu Wrap

Protein-Packed Kidney Bean Burger